Saturday, 12 June 2010

Fast food - Italian style

The eagle-eyed among you (well those readers with time on their hands anyway) may have noticed that this blog was silent for a few days last week. I've been in Italy, celebrating a friend's wedding on the North-West coast, and seeing for myself the way the Italians are preparing for the World Cup, and sampling some of the wonderful graffiti on the streets - it's much more about politics and a lot less about tagging.

Anyway, I could go on all day about Italy really, but I won't: instead I thought I'd share some of the most mind-boggling photos I took. In Pisa, just yards from the leaning tower, I came across this 'Automatic Restaurant', where you could buy two courses of pasta, pizzas,  drinks and processed desserts (check out the menu) - all from machines and with no human interaction whatsoever.



I don't know what amazes me more really - that someone has invented a way of eating that reduces the experience to an exchange of money with a machine and then a quick intake of processed calories on the hoof - or that I encountered it in Italy, the home of the Slow Food movement and, for some, the spiritual home of Europe's culinary culture itself.

2 comments:

  1. Given everything about Western culture's 'quick quick' trajectory I don't think the automated aspect is surprising - it's the logical outcome of combining a drinks vending machine with a drive-in Macdonalds. The shocker is. as you say, that it is in Italy!

    ReplyDelete