Friday, 14 May 2010

City councillor resigns - to take up post as Green MEP

Well I said yesterday there was almost no politics during a largely ceremonial annual council meeting - I may have misled you slightly.

The story of the day was that Green Party councillor Keith Taylor announced his resignation to take up the seat at the European Parliament vacated by Caroline Lucas after she was elected MP for Brighton Pavilion last week.

The resignation will trigger a by-election of course - and the local party has already started the process of finding the right candidate to stand.

Keith (left) said: "I've spent the last 11 happy and fulfilling years as a city councillor, striving for improvements in locals' everyday quality of life.

“Now I'm taking all I've learnt to Europe to try and enrich the whole south east region. I'll work tirelessly to achieve as much as I can.

“Although I'll be spending a great deal of time in Brussels , my home will always be here, in Brighton and Hove.

“It's exciting to be delivering inclusive politics based on hope, around a positive vision of building a just and sustainable world. With the consistent rise in support for the Greens' message it's clear that's what people want.

“A special thank you and best wishes also go to Caroline Lucas as she begins her historic term as the first Green MP at Westminster ."

Amongst many well-wishers, Caroline Lucas was quick to pay tribute to Keith.

She said: “Keith is an outstanding politician, a highly respected party member, and a good friend.

“He has served the people of Brighton & Hove with passion and commitment for many years and, as such, will bring a wealth of experience to his new role in the European Parliament.

“I have no doubt that Keith will prove to be an excellent MEP for the South East region, and I wish him every success for the future.”

So, yet another election to contest!

No comments:

Post a Comment